Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy Call Pan: Roasted Pork (Shio Bah)



2 weeks back, I embarked on my first trial of Roasted Pork
Yes, I'm a HUGE fan of this Chinese delicacy, especially since the skin is 'oh-so-crunchy'!
Since it'll usually take eons with a an oven, or so I've read, I'm more than happy to know that my Happy Call Pan can cook this in a MUCH SHORTER TIME!
I'm so in love with my Happy Call Pan that I've actually dedicated more time to cooking as it's my way of relieving stress. 
I spent about $8 for 4 slabs of pork bellies + $2 for the 5 spice powder (enough supply for many many times of roasted pork!) 
This dish takes 30 minutes to prepare, at least an hour to marinate and 30 minutes to cook.
Recipe's adapted from: Happy Call FB Group.

It's not that difficult to cook this dish or to prepare it but I guess it does take some skill and practice to perfect this dish. 

Roasted Pork Recipe
Ingredients: 

4 slabs of pork belly (I got mine from NTUC and Shop and Save)
However, if time permits, get it from the wet market butcher as you can get a larger slab of meat. These were too skinny and I had a tough time balancing them on the skin! My 2nd batch were made with a larger slab of meat I had the NTUC butcher chop for me (: More costly though!

MARINATE
3 tbsp of 5 spice powder 
2 tbsp of white pepper 
2 tbsp of salt

2 tbsp of salt for the skin
1 tsp of salt for boiling the meat

1 tbsp of olive oil or another other oil for frying




Steps:

Wash and clean the pork bellies. 
I used a tweezer to remove the excess hair on the pork belly that wasn't removed.

Boil the pork bellies in water enough to cover the pork bellies. 
Add 1 tsp of salt to the water.
Boil for 15 - 20 mins or till pork bellies are thoroughly cooked.

I used the cake tester I bought from Phoon Huat to prick the skin of the pork bellies.

This is the mixture of marinate.

Once the pork bellies are cooked, drain dry and pat dry. 
Rub the marinate all over the meat of the pork bellies, avoiding the SKIN.
Poke as many holes on the surface of the skin with the cake tester or any sharp objects you can find. 
Pat dry the skin once you're done poking.
Rub the skin with salt.

Allow meat to marinate for an hour or two, or if time permits, overnight for better taste.
Leave pork bellies in the fridge to allowing for better drying or in front of a fan (:

As my pork bellies in the first trial were really skinny, I used satay sticks to balance them in the Happy Call Pan. Still splattered all over.. So if possible, get a HUGE slab of meat! My 2nd trial balanced real well in the pan as it was a larger slap of meat so there wasn't much splattering of oil!

Add 1 tbsp of olive oil (healthier) to the Happy Call Pan and allow it to warm up.
Place the skin side of the pork belly into the pan and cook for 5 mins.
Turn the pork belly and cook each meat side for 2 minutes or so. 
(Be careful, this part chars quite easily!)

Once complete, drain dry and chop it into smaller pieces to enjoy!
Best eaten hot or warm! (:

This is the meat from my 2nd trial, cooked with a larger slab of meat! 
I cooked it with other dishes for a family dinner! (: 


Enjoy your roasted pork like I did!
And since it's a relatively simple dish to prepare, I'm sure to prepare it more often! (:

I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at cynthia.lim.hl@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...