Monday, October 17, 2011

Chocolate Banana Cake (Take Two)

This is the miniature version of the Chocolate Banana Cake!
This is my second attempt at the cake and it's just as good! (:
This cake took less time as I guess that it helped I was kinda familiar with the steps!
I took a total of 2.5 hours for the cake as compared to 4 hours in the first attempt!
The cake cost me about $25 this time round as I had some of the ingredients.


Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
Ingredients
Chocolate Chiffon Cake (A)
15g cocoa powder, mixed with 60ml water
2 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
65g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
30ml corn oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

(B)
2 egg whites
30g caster sugar
1/8 tsp or a pinch of cream of tatar 

Cake Filling
1/8 tsp of a pinch of cream of tatar
115g dark chocolate
43g unsalted butter (I always use salted butter though)
2 small eggs, seperated
125ml whipping cream
1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
2 bananas, sliced

Chocolate Frosting
70 UHT whipping cream
175g good quality dark chocolate
1/2 tbsp butter




Steps:
Cocoa powder.
Mix it with water (: Dissolve fully!
Separate the eggs yolks from the egg white. I dislike using a yolk separator as it hardly works.
So, I use my bare hands! (:
The pair of yolks!
The flour.
Sugar.
The corn oil. To me, any oil will do.
Sunflower, corn, bean, vegetable oil etc etc.
The Baking Soda and Vanilla Essence.
I wanna invest in a real good Vanilla Essence.
Mix all of (B) in a bowl and set aside.
Whisk and whisk.
Till it becomes shiny and shiny.
It should be real stiff and good.
This is (B)!
In another bowl, whisk everything for (A) together.
Mix it till you get a smooth mixture.
Then, add (B) in and whisk more!
Grease the pan with butter/margarine/cooking spray.
This is my 7 inch pan.
Sprinkle with cocoa powder so that it doesn't stick. 
This heart shape pan's for the fav boy's surprise!
The sprinkling part is a lil' tough so it takes practice. 
Please do not sprinkle with flour like what most recipes call for!
You'll end up with a whitish chocolate cake!

Bake the cake in a preheated oven of 150 degree Celsius for 3-5 minutes. 
Then, increase the temperature to 180 degree Celsius and bake for a total of 25-30 minutes.
This cake is very thin so be careful not to burn it!
It's ready when a tooth pick/chop stick comes of out the middle clean!
Meanwhile, prepare the ganache. 
Chocolate chips. I love my chocolate DARK!

The butter.
Yolks!
Egg whites.
Mix the sugar and the egg whites. 

Whisk till shiny and stiff!
The whipping cream I got from Cold Storage.
This size is just right for this recipe. 
No more, no less. (:
The whipping cream: 125ml for the ganache.
Double boil the chocolate.
I've got another trick: use the microwave oven!
Melt the chocolate in the oven at 10s intervals till 80% is melted. 
Stir occasionally to prevent burning. 
When it is 80% melted, take out and stir.
Leave to cool for 3-5 minutes before adding the butter and yolk, else the butter will 'melt' and become oil!
Whip the whipping cream till you get a thick mixture like this!
Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture.
Mix and mix!
Fold in the egg whites.
This is the ganache! 
Place in the freezer to chill for 20-30 minutes. 
The stiffer the mixture, the easier it is to work with.
The baked cake. Thin!
Remove the cake carefully and leave to cool.
I used a tea cup to cut out two circles!
Layer One.
The fresh banana!
This is the heart shaped cake sliced in two.
The slightly harder ganache.
Apply a dollop of ganache and then add some sliced bananas.
Apply more dollops.
Top with the second layer.
Apply ganache all over.
Pardon the mess, I lost my cooling wire!
Freeze for 5-10 minutes.
Take out from freezer and touch up with another layer.
Freeze again.
This is for the heart shaped cake.

Prepare the filling in the mean time.
The butter.
Double boil the whipping cream.
When it's warm, add the chocolate chips.
When it's melted, remove from fire and cool.
Cool before adding butter. 
Mix well.
After 2 times of touching up, it's more decent!
Apply a layer of chocolate frosting. 
Freeze for 5-10 minutes and repeat.
When you're pleased with the results, freeze for 20 more minutes to harden frosting completely before transferring the cake to the chiller.
I used the left over ingredients to make mini chocolate cups.
Crumble the left over cake and play with layers!


The completed cake! (:
The heart version.
The final product!

I love this cake very much. I love how it's moist and rich enough cos' it's dark chocolate that I used. 
This is definitely a cake I will bake over and over again! (: 

I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at cynthia.lim.hl@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...